17 Best Electrolyte Water Brands | Best Bottled Water With Electrolytes
Do you ever wish you could step up your hydration game, but feel hindered because you’re sick of drinking plain water all day? Well, you’re in luck because today, you’re going to learn the best electrolyte water brands and best bottled water with electrolytes from a pro sports dietitian.
Achieving adequate hydration each day is easier than you might think. The key is finding beverages that work not only for your tastebuds but also for your overall health.
As a sports nutrition practice, we’ve made it our mission to help our clients find drinks that actually taste good, enhance recovery, AND do not contain inflammatory ingredients. (Which, nowadays, is much easier said than done!)
Get ready as we dive into not only the best electrolyte water brands but also the best bottled water with electrolytes, the best electrolytes for hot yoga, the best electrolyte supplements for athletes, the best electrolyte drink for hiking, and the best electrolyte tablets for hiking! Be sure to read to the end as many of our top picks will surprise you.
What are Electrolytes and Why Do They Matter?
First things first, let’s start with the basics: what are electrolytes and why do they matter?
Electrolytes like sodium, potassium, calcium, chloride, and magnesium are important minerals used for essential functions in the body. Electrolytes are critical for optimal human function, especially when it comes to those who are physically active.
Adequate electrolytes are necessary for the following:
- Proper hydration
- Muscle contraction
- Moving nutrients into our cells
- Moving waste out
- Maintaining proper acid/base levels
Electrolytes are mainly lost through sweat and urine. However, vomiting and diarrhea can also contribute to their loss.
When you are not consuming enough electrolytes, you may notice fatigue, headaches, muscle cramping, blood pressure changes, and nausea.
Some of my athletes even experience vomiting when they do not consume enough electrolytes to support exercise demands.
What Criteria Decide the Best Electrolyte Water Brands?
When it comes to choosing the best electrolyte water brands and the best electrolytes for athletes, we do not rely on beautiful labels and fruity flavors. Instead, we look for the following criteria:
- The Golden Rule: Clean ingredients. We do not recommend or support the use of artificial dyes, sweeteners and other inflammatory ingredients…and nor should you! Our goal is not to blow up your immune system as you rehydrate.
- 3rd Parting Testing. While many hydration beverages are considered food products and therefore regulated by the FDA, most are considered sport supplements and not regulated so having 3rd party testing is crucial to assure quality and to confirm what is on the label is accurate.
For those that are considered more of a sports supplement, it is important to be your own advocate and ensure the product has been third-party tested or certified. This means that an independent organization has reviewed the manufacturing process of a product and has independently determined that the final product complies with specific performance, quality, and safety standards.
Products that have been third-party certified will have a certification stamp displayed on the label from the certification company.
- Quality Sourcing of Ingredients. Where did this company source the water and other main ingredients? Are any of the ingredients organic? Are they supporting local companies or farmers, if possible? Is there caffeine, and if so, where is it coming from, a natural source like green tea or something man-made in a factory? Is the pH fairly low? If so, this limits the growth of bacteria.
The most transparent companies will have this information right on their website or will be able to provide answers within minutes of a quick phone call.
- Great Taste: It must be palatable when you are hot, sweaty, and working your tail off. Otherwise, could it really be the best bottled water with electrolytes?!
The Best Electrolyte Water Brands & The Best Bottled Water With Electrolytes
Curious about the best electrolyte water brands or perhaps the best electrolytes for athletes? Check out the list below of our tried and tested top picks!
When you hear the phrase “best electrolyte water brands,” do you automatically think of Jennifer Aniston sipping on a refreshing bottle of Smart Water? If not, then you should! True electrolyte water is essentially water infused with electrolytes.
If you came to this post looking for, quite literally, the best electrolyte water brands or, essentially, the best bottled water with electrolytes, check out the list below:
1. Essentia Alkaline Water
- Essentia is top tier when it comes to electrolyte-infused water. Essentia is ionized alkaline water. In basic terms, Essentia is one of the most pure and nutrient dense electrolyte waters on the market💪. First, it is purified through reverse osmosis, making it 99.9% pure and free of toxins. Next, it is infused with trace amounts of electrolytes and acidic ions are removed, providing a pH of 9.5. This makes the water very alkaline (not basic) and easy for our bodies to absorb.
2. blk. Natural Mineral Alkaline Water
- All the cool kids are drinking blk., and for good reason. Not only is it unique to be drinking black water, but blk. touts ultimate hydration by offering fulvic-enhanced👈, all-natural mineral water. There are multiple flavor options such as Black & Blueberry or Dirty Lemonade and many more as well as an unflavored option. So, if you are looking for flavor in addition to purified water with electrolytes and high alkalinity for best absorption, blk. is the winner.
3. Vita Coco (Coconut Water)
- Prefer a little flavor and natural sugar when you hydrate? Check out this gift from nature, Vita Coco’s Coconut Water 🥥. This delicious beverage offers naturally occurring electrolytes like potassium and magnesium. Perhaps what we appreciate above all though, is the fact that this company works hard to support small farmers and makes a major effort to give back to those in need.🌴
4. Smart Water
- The original OG of electrolyte waters is Smart Water. It was born in 1996 but made uber popular in recent years by Hollywood. Smart Water is vapor distilled with added electrolytes. Since 2019, the brand now offers an alkaline, antioxidant, and lightly flavored versions.
5. Defy Ionized Alkaline Water
- Welcome to high-performance ionized, alkaline water. Personally, this is our favorite tasting electrolyte-enhanced water. While many other companies make the same claims, like ionization and a pH of 9.5, we feel Defy has the smoothest taste.
We cannot lie, we also love that their facility is solar powered AND 3 cents of every bottle sold is donated to various charities! The only reason this was not our #1 pick is because it is typically not as readily available at your average grocery store than our prior options. You can 👉buy it right now on Amazon👈 however.
And now you have our top 5 picks for the best bottled water with electrolytes.
Disclaimer for all the super-health nuts (like us!) out there: We are not encouraging constantly drinking out of plastic. However, we understand how convenient it can be and at the end of the day, we would prefer you to be hydrated, even if it means using plastic. But hey, if you’d really like to be a star. We highly recommend this water bottle made of borosilicate glass which is what we personally use about 98% of the tie and fill up every day from the reverse osmosis filter in our home. You can always transfer your drink to this fabulous glass container too!!
Best Electrolytes for Athletes & Heavy Sweaters
Now, let’s say you’re not sedentary, but you’re not exactly at the point where you need a boatload of sodium and potassium to rehydrate properly. In that case, the options below including NOOMA’s Organic Sports Drinks are the perfect segway between straight-up electrolyte water and an electrolyte-enhanced sports drink.
The below options are also great choices for those who previously chose to carry water while running but are looking to switch to an electrolyte beverage for their bottles.
NOOMA Organic Sports Drinks – Our Favorite Organic Electrolyte Drink for Athletes (Best for Those Who’re NOT Heavy Sweaters)
Some may consider these snazzy little beverages a sports drink, but with filtered water and coconut water as the base, we consider NOOMA’s Organic Sports Drinks the ultimate electrolyte water.
- Organic, plant-based, zero added sugar, the perfect blend of electrolytes for light activity and great flavor!!
- One of the only companies to add adaptogens for extra immune and recovery support too!
Want to give these bad boys a try? Here is NOOMA’s link if you’d like to learn more. As a token of our appreciation for reading our content, 👉consider using our affiliate code FWDFUEL at checkout which provides 30% off your first purchase!!👈
For those of you who are shaking your head thinking no, that is not at all what I want. I want the best electrolyte-infused rehydration beverages for active individuals, then keep on readin’ because that is what we have up next.
The best electrolyte water brands listed above and the bottled water with electrolytes that we previously discussed would be best for those who are not extremely active but are still looking to support their daily hydration needs. They would also be great for those who’re looking to rehydrate with some electrolytes after a really nice sauna session.
The electrolyte-rich rehydration beverages below are best for those who are very active, heavy sweaters, or those who spend a lot of time in the heat. This is when you need more than just a bit of a top-off for your hydration and electrolytes.
Depending on their sweat rate and composition, I have had gardeners and construction workers for clients who were in more serious need of electrolyte support, just as much as some of my high school, collegiate, and pro athletes.
I digress; here is my list of top electrolyte water brands, and by that, I actually mean best electrolyte rehydration beverages for those involved in intense activity, those active in high heat, and heavy sweaters:
1. Skratch Labs Hydration Mix
- Quite possibly the fan-favorite across the board in regards to flavor, thus making it really easy to want to drink when you are hot and sweaty.
- Contains actual carbohydrates (not a load of zero-calorie sweeteners) needed to fuel muscle in addition to a moderate dose of electrolytes.
- Great variety of flavors.
- Digests well.
Perfect for those who need hydration support in addition to carbohydrate intake. This tends to be one of our top picks for endurance athletes. An excellent choice for those who prefer not to carry or eat during longer runs, rides, or training sessions.
2. LMNT Electrolyte Powder Packets
Get ready to see LMNT all throughout this post, as it happens to be our favorite high-dose electrolyte beverage and the one we personally use most often.
- Why? It tastes great (especially when icy cold).
- LMNT offers an awesome selection of unique flavors like Watermelon Salt and Mango Habanero.
- LMNT contains 60mg of magnesium, 200mg of potassium, and 1,000 mg of sodium, perfect for our big-time sweaters.
Perfect for major sweaters who are prone to cramping and would prefer not to have any added sugar.
3. Drip Drop and Drip Drop Zero
- This refreshing beverage offers a nice combo of moderate electrolytes, zero added sugar or regular sugar, faster rehydration time, and key vitamins for immune support.
- Classic flavors and all-natural ingredients. Goes down very easily.
- Provides moderate rehydration at 330mg sodium, 189 mg potassium, and 35 mg magnesium
Perfect for those who fall in the middle range of not serious crampers but need more than your average sports drink.
4. Biosteel Hydration Mix
- For those who grew up on Kool-Aid, this will be your favorite!
- Extremely sweet and flavorful (without added sugar- zero calorie sweetener is used.)
- A fun assortment of flavors like grape and blue raspberry – minus any weird food coloring!
- The mega-dose of B Vitamins and Amino Acids in this mix is excellent if you want an energy boost without any caffeine.
- Comes in a tub or portable packets.
Perfect for those who love intense flavor, do not sweat profusely, and would prefer an energy boost without any caffeine.
5. Catalye by Thorne
- Say hello to one of the most comprehensive but low-dose electrolyte blends.
- Professional grade, third-party tested.
- Perfect for those who need a little extra hydration support before and during physical activity.
- PS. You can find it for 20% off right here on Wellevate, where we buy all our supplements. When you 👉create your account for Wellevate with our link👈, the discount is automatically applied, and you can use it to buy any supplement. The best thing is, prices for supplements on Wellevate are better than anywhere, even Amazon, and you can save loads of 💰💰💰y buying off there all while getting higher quality supplements and customer service.
Perfect for those who are light sweaters, or looking for a more comprehensive blend that also includes vitamins/minerals for immune and muscle support.
Are There Electrolytes in Red Bull?
I always laugh a little inside when my athletes ask, “are there electrolytes in Red Bull?” because I know deep down it is their way of justifying repeat consumption of an energy drink.
Red Bull does not actually contain electrolytes. Red Bull contains a panel of B Vitamins, as well as taurine, an amino acid that can be beneficial for energy but, again, no electrolytes.
Now to be ultra-precise here, sure, you’ll find a little magnesium carbonate and calcium pantothenate in the ingredient list. However, it is not enough to replenish electrolyte stores after or during activity.
And, for the record, even if Red Bull did contain ample electrolytes, I would never recommend something loaded with chemical sweeteners. Too many research studies have come out proving the damage of long-term consumption. [2,3,4,]
I can’t have you unknowingly consume something that decreases the good bacteria in your gut and promotes inflammation! (Ok, yes, I know the original Red Bull contains table sugar but why drink artificial colors and sub-optimal ingredients when you don’t have to anymore?)
A quick fun fact while we’re on the topic. It is a myth that Red Bull’s caffeine content will make your heart stop. It contains 80mg per serving which is basically a standard cup of coffee.
Ok, now hang on. Don’t panic yet, all you little Red Bull worshipers. I have a much better alternative for you.
If you are looking for a caffeine boost with ample electrolytes, I would highly recommend the brand Pureboost. Pureboost is one of the only brands on the market with pure ingredients, allowing you to truly feel energized vs. jittery and anxious.
A serving of Pureboost offers 100 mg of natural caffeine sourced from green tea, a load of antioxidants, and electrolytes such as sodium, potassium, and magnesium. In fact, Pureboost contains a higher magnesium concentration than just about any hydration beverage on the market. Not to mention 2 servings provide 100% of your Daily Value of 9 essential vitamins, including Vitamin C and B12.
Please keep in mind that magnesium is a critical mineral in the human body. It is responsible for over 300 enzymatic reactions…and most of us are deficient! Therefore, getting a little magnesium wherever we can is really beneficial for long-term health. And why not ingest it accompanied by a little natural caffeine surge?
The Best Electrolytes for Hot Yoga
Client: “Man, I cramped again during hot yoga today, do you have any tips for me? Is there such a thing as the best electrolytes for hot yoga?”
Me: “Did you sweat a ton but only drink water before and during the session?”
Client: “Yes, exactly!! How did you know!?”
This scenario is incredibly common. Good news, though: if you’re prone to cramping and you’re also into hot yoga, there is an easy solution!
Increase your electrolyte intake BEFORE and during the session, and be sure that your choice has an ample amount of sodium. Drinking only water or waiting until after the session to consume electrolytes is too late. You have to have a little gas in the system, so to speak, before you run it to empty.
While sweat rate composition is genetic, generally speaking, sodium is the electrolyte that we tend to lose the most of when we are sweating buckets during strenuous or super hot activity.
Unfortunately, in this particular case, electrolyte water is not enough. Here are my top two picks for my sweat monsters out there:
Option A: Liquid IV Hydration Multiplier is a great tasting (fan favorite, I would say), well-rounded electrolyte beverage. With 500 mg of sodium, 370 mg of potassium, and a nice little supportive panel of C and B vitamins, this is perfect for my moderate sweaters who feel they are on the verge of cramping when performing strenuous activity. Be sure to consume before and during physical activity, especially in the heat.
Option B: LMNT Electrolyte Powder Packets. This delicious, all-natural, super salty, yet refreshing beverage is perfect for my peeps who sweat profusely and tend to cramp big time. If your hot yoga sessions are 90 minutes, this is a no-brainer. When someone specifically asks me what are the best electrolytes for hot yoga? LMNT is my answer.
I would suggest dumping a packet in water and sipping slowly for 60 minutes before your hot yoga session. Or, start with half a packet 30 minutes before the session and then slowly sip on the rest throughout the session.
If you have a sensitive stomach and you feel a little sloshy in your stomach with all the twists and turns, you’re better off getting it done before exercise.
Quick Pro Tip: One serving contains 1,000 mg of sodium, 200 mg of potassium, and 60 mg of magnesium. Therefore, this is not a beverage that you will just chug for fun while hanging around the house. I would only consume this strategically around strenuous activity.
What is the Best Way to Get Electrolytes While Fasting
As you might guess, it is incredibly important to consume electrolytes when your body is in a fast state. Since you are not consuming food, we must ensure the brain, heart, and muscles have what they need to continue chugging along successfully.
So, what is the best way to get electrolytes while fasting, especially when you’re an active female fasting with picky taste buds?
There are two major components to consider in this case: We want to make sure the product contains 0g of carbohydrate and a moderate to high amount of key electrolytes such as sodium, potassium, and magnesium. This is usually an unflavored product.
This is important to remember when researching brands and reading labels because certain brands will usually only have one or two specific blends that fit these criteria.
If you tend to fast for longer periods of time (and we are NOT necessarily telling you to do this), you will need even higher amounts of electrolytes. So, for example, 100mg of sodium per serving won’t cut it, but 500-1000mg will.
The longer you fast, the less stool you will have in your body. In this situation, water will pass right through your body, resulting in dehydration almost immediately. Therefore the longer you fast, the greater the need for electrolytes. There is nothing (stool) to slow the passing of electrolytes for better absorption.
Check out our favorite electrolyte supplements during fasting:
1. LMNT Electrolyte Powder Packets
- Ok, ok, you know by now that this is one of our absolute favorites, but it is critical when fasting because of the higher-power electrolyte blend: 1,000 mg sodium, 200 mg potassium, and 60 mg magnesium. This makes LMNT our top pick for longer fasts.
- No artificial sweeteners or garbage in the ingredients.
- Portable packets vs. a big tub to haul and messily scoop.
- But read your labels! Only a few of the flavors have <1 g of carbohydrate. Watermelon Salt is a great option if you prefer a little taste and still want to remain fast. If you are looking for a 100% clean fast, the LMNT Raw Unflavored is by far your best option.
FYI, most people will stay fasted with any of the LMNT products as they are 2g carbohydrate or less per serving, but if you want to play it ultra-safe, Watermelon Salt and Raw Unflavored are what we suggest gravitating towards.
2. Redmond Re-Lyte Electrolyte Drink Mix
- Unflavored, high-potency electrolytes!
- Zero carbs or fake ingredients
- More cost-effective option.
- Contains highly absorbable forms of electrolytes- even real sea salt!
- Bonus offer: If you absolutely can’t drink down the high sodium, unflavored concoction, Redmond offers electrolyte capsules at 400 mg sodium, 200 mg potassium, and 25 mg magnesium. And honestly, sometimes capsules are the best way to get electrolytes while fasting, no matter who you are or how much you like to drink simply because its convenient and portable.
What are your favorite electrolyte supplements during fasting? Let us know if there is something we missed!
The Best Electrolyte Drink for Hiking & The Best Electrolyte Tablets For Hiking
Hiking can take a toll on the body. If you do not have the right electrolyte drink or the best electrolyte tablets while hiking, you might find yourself in a bad situation. So, without further ado, here are our top picks for the best electrolyte drink for hiking and the best electrolyte tablets for hiking.
The Best Electrolyte Drink for Hiking
In our opinion, the best electrolyte drink for hiking is…
- Scratch Labs Hydration Drink Mix
- As mentioned above, Skratch tends to be the best electrolyte drink for hiking because it tastes great and was designed to most closely mimic our body’s natural sweat rate composition.
Most importantly, though, for hikers, Skratch contains carbohydrates, thus making it less critical to haul around food in addition to an electrolyte drink. The lighter your load, the better, right?
- LMNT Hydration Packets
- Again, LMNT makes the list, but this time, for our hikers who sweat profusely and or for our hikers who spend hours in the heat. LMNT contains 1,000 mg sodium, 200mg potassium, and 60mg magnesium, one of the most powerful blends on the market. Be sure to sip before and during strenuous hikes.
Pro Tip: If you see white drying on your clothes or your sweat really burns when it gets in your eyes, LMNT was made for you!
- https://amzn.to/3OwZHe4SaltStick FASTCHEWS
- Are you a light sweater? Looking for something a little less in the carb and electrolyte department? Perhaps you prefer not to gulp liquid because it sloshes in your stomach. In that case, SaltStick FASTCHEWS is the perfect solution. Chew 1-2 tablets every 15-30 minutes during physical activity to help support mild sweat loss.
The Best Electrolyte Tablets For Hiking
Not a fan of mixing powder into liquid when hiking? Too messy and inconvenient? We hear you!
In our opinion, the best electrolyte tablets for hiking are as follows:
- Nuun Sport is our favorite electrolyte-rich tablet.
- Why? It tastes great, doesn’t contain any artificial ingredients, and is Certified Kosher, Vegan, and Gluten Free.
- NOW Effer-Hydrate Effervescent Hydration Tablets
- If you enjoy a little sparkle with your sip, NOW makes an excellent electrolyte tablet for the moderate sweater who craves carbonation. The electrolyte profile almost matches Nuun’s to a tee. Your selection will come down to taste preference as both contain roughly 300 mg sodium, ~ 100mg potassium, and ~20 mg magnesium.
- Precision Hydration Ph 1500
- Precision hydration tablets are the real MVP for my super sweaty hikers. The PH 1500 tablets, in particular, contain 750 mg of sodium, 20 mg of calcium, 130 mg of potassium, and 10mg of magnesium- almost double the profile of NOW and Nuun’s electrolyte tablets. Perfect for those prone to cramping and fatigue as this blend provides a greater boost of replenishment than your average tabs.
Well, there we have it, folks; that concludes our top guide to the best electrolyte water brands. We hope you are not only walking away better informed of the best electrolyte water brands but also the best electrolyte supplements for athletes and the best electrolytes for hot yoga, hiking, and fasting. If you enjoyed this post, be sure to check out our posts on the best glutathione supplements, the top grass-fed whey protein powders, and the best protein bars.
Most importantly, what is your favorite electrolyte brand? We’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
Subscribe now for our FREE anti-inflammatory 3-DAY MEAL PLAN And weekly updates.
Let's fix fatigue, joint pain, gut issues, and more right now!
Subscribe & Fix Bloating Now
Subscribe for weekly updates on fixing fatigue, bloating, and gut issues with anti-inflammatory foods and a FREE copy of our Super Tasty 3 Day Anti-Inflammatory Meal Plan to reduce bloating, improve gut function, increase energy, and improve athletic performance! Transform your eating with this meal plan today!
You have successfully subscribed! We'll be in touch soon with some of our biggest tips!