The Best Time to Take Greens Powder – Super Greens Powder Side Effects
Curious to know when is the best time to take greens powder? Or, perhaps you’d like to know a little more about super greens powder side effects? Maybe you just want something that actually works and doesn’t smell like cat pee or taste like grass.
Keep reading because we’re going to explain what are super greens, the best time to take greens supplements, super green powder side effects, and the absolute king of super greens powder supplements that you should be using right now to enhance your health and wellness.
What are Super Greens?
“Super greens” is such a trendy term right now. So, let’s get to it, what are super greens?
Super greens are a very nutrient-dense blend of green plants. Most super greens blends consist of vegetables, algae, and grasses. Super greens are most commonly found in powder form, but on occasion, you will find that some companies encapsulate their super greens formula.
The majority of super greens supplements consist of 15-30 different ingredients. Common examples include but are not limited to chlorella, seaweed, herbs like cilantro, and grasses such as wheatgrass or alfalfa grass.
Companies with more of an advanced, comprehensive formula will also include additional nutrients like probiotics and digestive enzymes to further sell the concept of a “one-stop shop” nutrient supplement to enhance your daily routine. (P.S. If you’d like to know what we use with our professional athletes and don’t have time to read until the end, here is our all-time favorite brand of a super greens powder.)
The Benefits of Super Greens Supplements
The benefits of super greens supplements stretch far and wide. Here is our top 7 list of the most powerful benefits of super greens supplements.
A quality super greens powder can…
- Help push our body more towards a state of alkalinity (a pH balance where disease is less likely to occur).
- Improve our intake of vegetable-derived nutrients when we are busy or unable to cook.
- Support our liver by enhancing phase 1 and phase 2 of our body’s natural detoxification process, preventing issues like autoimmunity and cancer.
- Improve blood pressure.
- Boost energy by correcting nutrient deficiencies and fighting free radicals(oxidative damage).
- Improve mental and immune health.
- Fight against cognitive decline.
Green powder benefits for the skin are also widely recognized. See below!
Green Powder Benefits for Skin
Our skin is the body’s largest organ. It would, therefore, only make sense that our skin requires a large number of specific nutrients each day to appear vibrant and rejuvenated.
Plus, when we really want to optimize our health, particularly skin health, it must be done from the inside out.
Lastly, our gut’s microbiome interacts with the microbiome on our skin. This is why those who smoke, eat garbage or are constantly dehydrated tend to have a less-than-ideal skin appearance.
The most comprehensive green powders benefit our skin for the following reasons:
- An appropriate amount of antioxidants can fight puffiness, allowing us to appear refreshed.
- An ample amount of vitamins A, C, E, and folate can support circulation, helping us to achieve a glowing complexion.
- A proper blend of nutrients can support digestion. Better digestion will lead to fewer breakouts and a more even appearance of skin. (Bonus: I once had a client report significantly reduced age spots too!)
- A powerful blend of greens supports detoxification, thus helping our body to naturally clear inflammatory issues like hives or psoriasis.
Is Taking Greens Worth It?
Yes! 100%, taking a high-quality greens powder or supplement is worth it. Super greens powder side effects tend to stretch far and wide these days.
Most people do not eat enough fresh or frozen produce each day- especially that which is green. Most people are stressed. Most people are overly busy. Plus, the quality of our soil is just not what it once was.
Even if you absolutely LOVE vegetables and could bathe in okra and collards all day, it doesn’t mean you are actually able to make that happen.
Sure, I have a few friends and colleagues who live in the middle of nowhere on a farm where they are far from the craziness of life. They bask in serenity all day and enjoy the fruits (literally) of their labor off the farm.
And I have clients who have professional chefs that fly in their fruits and veggies from the most reputable organic farms in the world each week. However, most of us do not and cannot live this way, so we have to find the most reasonable shortcut.
A daily dose of super greens.
Best Time to Take Greens Powder
So, then, what’s the best time to take greens powder?
Well, you know what they say. Timing is everything.
Hands down, the best time to take greens powder is first thing in the morning.
I have a multitude of reasons for this recommendation. Here is the quick and dirty version of why the morning is the best time to take greens powder:
- Plain and simple, the nutrient profile is so powerful in a high-quality greens powder, that most of you will have trouble sleeping at night consuming such a “boost” that late in the day.
- Great way to experience natural, long-lasting energy in the morning without caffeine.
- Many individuals, especially those who are deficient in multiple nutrients or who have a poor balance of gut microbes, will notice more regular bowel movements after taking a daily greens powder.
(I actually just had a colleague last week say she no longer experiences symptoms of IBS after taking the greens powder that I recommended. PS here is the link if you don’t feel like waiting until the end of the article to know my suggestion.)
- If taken first thing in the morning, the chances of you forgetting to take your greens powder that day or, the chance of you feeling too full when you finally remember is slim to none
- The last reason why the best time to take greens supplement is first thing in the morning is that it will not be competing in the system against other nutrients for placement in our body.
Is it OK to Take Greens Every Day?
Yes. In fact, depending on the company and the ingredients, most super greens are meant to be taken every day.
Think of daily greens as an insurance policy on top of your usual routine. Properly comprised formulas can essentially serve as your daily multivitamin. This is a perfect solution for individuals who can’t stand swallowing capsules.
Now, with that said, while a daily dose of greens can be very beneficial for most people, it is always best to consult with your doctor first. It’s always a good idea to ensure you will not be dealing with any unexpected drug-nutrient interactions.
How Long Does it Take for Greens to Start Working?
The question of how long does it take for greens to start working is a bit of a complex question. The reason is it depends how deficient in nutrients you are, your genetics, gut health, and the quality of your diet.
So, for example, my clients who are at rock bottom in their health journey often notice a difference within 1-2 doses of taking a quality greens powder. Most of these individuals note more energy and improved digestion off the bat.
For those who are constantly working on their health and tend to have a better baseline, they might not notice any super greens powder side effects until a few weeks into the process. A small handful will only notice a difference if they forget to take a dose of their greens supplement.
P.S. This is another reason why we say the best time to take greens powder is first thing in the morning. It’s easier to notice a difference when it travels down the pipes alone.
For those in great health and or not very in tune with their body, they may not notice much of a difference until the 2-3 month mark.
What Happens if You Take Too Much Greens? Tell me Everything About the Potential Super Greens Powder Side Effects!
If you take too many greens, you may run into a bad situation. Now, keep in mind, for most people, this would be the equivalent of eating several pounds of greens or taking multiple servings of a greens powder for days in a row.
Adverse Super Greens Posder Side Effects to Watch Out For
Though super greens powder side effects are uncommon, we all have different DNA, gut types, etc. that could lead us to not tolerate them for one reason or another. With that said, what are the super greens powder side effects that may suggest we’re not tolerating them well or our body is reacting to them negatively?
Though most people will never take dosages high enough to see these types of symptoms. it’s worth noting that abdominal pain, changes in blood pressure, kidney stones, an abnormally low pulse, tremors, and vomiting are probable signs of a poor tolerance or adverse reaction to super greens powders. When in doubt, consult a healthcare provider.
If your greens powder or nutritional greens supplement is something that needs to be scooped or measured, please make sure you are reading the label and serving yourself accordingly.
Do Greens Powders Help with Bloating?
If you know me by now, my response here is probably not going to surprise you.
Do greens powders help with bloating? Well, it depends on why you are bloated!! But, a long story made short is: yes, a well-formulated greens powder can help with bloating.
For example, the higher quality greens powders are starting to include digestive enzymes in their product. If your reason for bloating is a lack of enzymes (AKA, when you eat, and it feels like a rock is just sitting in your stomach), then you will likely experience less bloating.
Or, if the ratio of “good” vs. “bad” bacteria is off in your gut (usually, we figure this out by your symptoms or, better yet, by running a stool test), having a multi-strain probiotic built into the greens powder, as many companies do, can really help with bloating.
If a greens powder is providing certain nutrients or a certain form of a nutrient, such as methylated B12, that you are deficient in, this can resolve bloating and constipation as well. It’s like adding grease to a squeaky wheel.
In summary, a greens powder will help with bloating when its formulation suits your biology. Filling in these biological “loopholes” can smooth out the digestive process.
Do Greens Powders Help with Gut Health?
I love the question, “do greens powders help with gut health?” While most powders don’t necessarily hurt gut health, very few actually target gut health the way that Athletic Greens provides support.
Athletic Greens (AG1) contains prebiotics, probiotics, and natural digestive enzymes to enhance digestion and nutrient absorption for our gut bacteria.
The two probiotics, in particular, Bifidobacterium Bifidum and Lactobacillus Acidophilus, promote diversity of the bacteria in our gut. The more diverse our microbiome, the stronger our immune system.
Why take 5+ or even 10+ capsules daily when it can be knocked out in one serving of a nutrient-dense powder?!
Do Greens Powders Help with Going Poop?
Yes, absolutely, a legit greens powder can help with going poop.
Of course, it depends on why your bowels aren’t doing their thing, but, generally speaking, when our gut bacteria is better balanced, and we begin to replenish key vitamins and minerals (all of which a well-formulated greens powder will do), our body begins to operate the way that it was always meant to operate.
For those of you who are new to FWDfuel, we are going to say this loud and clear:
EVERY LIVING, BREATHING HUMAN BEING SHOULD BE POOPING FAIRLY EASILY, AT LEAST ONCE A DAY, IDEALLY TWICE EVERY SINGLE DAY WHILE ON THIS EARTH.
I don’t care about your parent’s poop habits or what your genetics have to say- you should be pinching a loaf DAILY- no “ifs,” “ands’ or “buts.”
In fact, if daily pooping is not your thing, that should be one of the first red flags of health that you notice. This is one of the clearest and most obvious signs that something is off.
P.S.S. Most of our “Constipated Carls” feel the best time to take greens powder is first thing in the am for the best chance at a production of a robust turd.
Maybe you are living with food sensitivities, and you don’t even know it.
Maybe you are a walking ball of inflammation and want to learn how to decrease your inflammatory load.
Maybe your cortisol (main stress hormone) is blown out of proportion and you’re looking for a new way to keep it in check.
And hey, if you feel like we are speaking a foreign language right now, it might be worth setting up a strategy call with an experienced dietitian to help sort everything out. What do you have to lose?
They don’t call us a team of “poop whisperers” for nothing!
Best Greens Powder for Inflammation and Overall Health
Well, if you’ve made it this far, thank you! And it might no longer be a surprise that Athletic Greens is by far our favorite greens powder on the market at this time.
Here is the lo-down on why AG1 is the best greens powder for inflammation and overall health:
- Sustained Energy. The AG1 formulation contains vital nutrients as well as adaptogens to support physical health and mental energy. This specific blend supports our mitochondria, the powerhouse of our cells, to help us perform better in our sport as well as in life!
- Improved Digestion. A specific blend of prebiotics, probiotics, and naturally occurring digestive enzymes to help us better absorb our food and also to keep our gut bugs diverse and flourishing.
- Immunity Support. AG1 includes a comprehensive blend of antioxidants, probiotics, functional mushrooms, and immune boosting vitamins and minerals to help support our body’s response to illness- current infections as well as to help us fight what might be around the corner.
- Healthy Aging. AG1 is loaded with superfoods and antioxidants to help fight free radicals and oxidative damage that contribute heavily to the aging process. Not to mention plant compounds that help support the growth of skin, hair, and nails. As stated above, the greens powder benefit for skin is so real.
- Recovery. The AG1 formulation also works to balance stress, regulate our circadian rhythm and fight muscle cramps- all of which are critical to the ultimate recovery process. C’mon, no one wants to feel like an old geezer after a tough workout.
- Clarity and Focus. Lastly, AG1 contains a neural supporting blend of nutrients that can help you to maintain focus, enhance mental alertness, improve sleep quality, and better manage stress.
In summary, the reason is Athletic Greens is so.much.more. than a greens powder. It is a full-blown, incredibly comprehensive nutritional supplement that even my pickiest of clients and athletes enjoy.
Athletic Greens is your one-stop shop for boosting digestion, energy, focus, and immunity, all while fighting aging and improving recovery. Plus, in our world of busy clients and professional athletes, we need something that is NSF for Sport, meaning a product that has been tested for banned substances. Oh, and one more bonus, Athletic Greens offers individually sealed packets, which is critical for travel and busy days.
Well, there you have it! Now you know the scoop on when is the best time to take greens powder, super greens powder side effects, what are super greens, as well as everything in between.
If you decide to dabble down the Athletic Greens path, we’d love to hear about your experience in the comments below!
Subscribe now for our FREE anti-inflammatory 3-DAY MEAL PLAN And weekly updates.
Let's fix fatigue, joint pain, gut issues, and more right now!